The PSC Resources Superfund Site is situated in south-central Massachusetts in the town of Palmer, approximately 15 miles east of Springfield, Massachusetts. The Site is three acres in size and is located in the 100-year floodplain of the Quaboag River.
The Site was originally owned by Mobil Oil Corporation in the 1930's and 1940's and was utilized for bulk oil storage. PSC Resources purchased the property in the early 1970's to store and process oil and began operations in 1974. Contamination of the site occurred due to improper containment of solvents and oils, spills, and poor maintenance activities resulting in the contamination of soil, groundwater and adjacent wetlands by PCBs, volatile organic compounds and heavy metals. A major release of hazardous materials to the wetlands associated with the Site apparently occurred in 1978 during a 4,000-gallon spill from the Site’s containment lagoon. The evidence suggests that additional releases of hazardous materials to on-Site soils and buildings occurred frequently throughout the period of operation of the facility. Millions of gallons of waste were left behind in tanks and lagoons when the current owner abandoned the plant in 1978.
The specific contaminants of concern at the Site include volatile organic compounds (VOCs), semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs), PCBs, lead and zinc. Ground water was contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and SVOCs. Soils were contaminated with elevated levels of SVOCs, VOCs, metals, and PCBs (in a limited area adjacent to a former tank storage area). Wetland sediments were contaminated with PAHs, lead and zinc. Quaboag River water and sediments contained relatively low levels of SVOCs, PCBs, and metals.