The Asbestos Dump site consists of the 11-acre Millington site and three separate satellite sites. The Millington site lies in a residential and commercial area. Beginning in 1927, a succession of owners operated an asbestos products manufacturing plant at the Millington site. Asbestos was disposed of at the Millington site, comprising a large mound approximately 1.5 acres in size. Prior to remediation, erosion and weathering of the mound exposed areas of asbestos along the Passaic River bank. One satellite site, known as the Dietzman Tract or the Great Swamp area (operable unit 3), is approximately 7 acres and is located within the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, about 2 miles southeast of
New Vernon Road. This site was used as a refuse and asbestos disposal area for approximately 40 years and is bordered by Great Brook and a woodland habitat. The New Vernon Road and White Bridge Road satellite sites are residential properties. The New Vernon Road site occupies approximately 30 acres. Broken asbestos tiles and siding, as well as loose asbestos fibers, were landfilled on this former corn and dairy farm during the late 1960's. The White Bridge Road site, covering 12 acres, is bounded by the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and private residences. This property was a farm until 1969, when the current owner started landfilling asbestos waste from the Millington facility. The wastes were present on the site as subsurface fill or as part of an asbestos waste mound. Disposal continued until 1975.