The Site includes a 30-acre property in Farmingdale, New York, that was used for the manufacturing of aircraft parts and trailers from the late 1930s until 1948 and by the Liberty Industrial Finishing Corporation as a metal plating and finishing facility from 1948 until 1978. The property is located 0.5 km north of Massapequa Creek which flows 8 km to South Oyster Bay, an estuary on the south shore of Long Island, New York. The plating and finishing operations at the facility included anodizing, electroplating, dyeing, and painting. Numerous industrial and light industrial businesses have leased and continue to lease space at the Site. Plating waste effluent containing cadmium and chromium was released to the groundwater through two on-site disposal basins. Unknown quantities of sludge were also deposited in a sludge drying bed.
For most of its length, Massapequa Creek is a non-tidal, freshwater stream and terminates in the Massapequa Tidal Channel which flows into South Oyster Bay. Massapequa Lake is the largest impoundment along the creek. Formed by a dam 3 feet high and 50 feet wide, Massapequa Lake is located 1 mile upstream of South Oyster Bay. The dam represents the upstream limit of tidal influence and estuarine water and prevents fish passage farther upstream. Sediment and surface water of the freshwater portion of Massapequa Creek are contaminated with metals. The major contaminant pathway to Massapequa Creek is via groundwater.