The site was operated by the Krejci family as a municipal and industrial dump and/or salvage yard from around 1950 until 1980. During the years of operation, solid and liquid waste materials were brought to the site where they were sorted, salvaged, stored, disposed and/or burned. Contamination of the site occurred as a result of open dumping, spills, leaking containers, and burning. Contaminants identified at the site include polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxin/furan, polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), pesticides, benzene, and numerous metals such as cadmium, copper, and lead.
The site became part of Cuyahoga Valley National Park in 1980, although it was still under the control of the Krejci family until late 1985 when the NPS took control of the site. In 1986-87, it was determined that the site constituted a threat to human health and the environment.