The former DuPont-Waynesboro Facility (Facility) is located on approximately 177 acres on the eastern shore of the South River (SR) in Waynesboro, Virginia. From 1929 to 1950, mercury was used in the manufacturing processes, and mercury releases impacted soil and groundwater locally on-site, and storm sewers transported mercury from the Facility to the SR. The mercury release was discovered in the 1970s, and a fish consumption ban, then advisory, was enacted for the South River and South Fork Shenandoah River (SFSR; approximately 129 miles total). Mercury continues to be transported and re-circulated downstream via surface water, sediments, and floodplain soils to the SR, SFSR and Shenandoah River, and a variety of natural resources have been exposed to Facility-related mercury. Remedial activities for the SR are ongoing (as of September 2017). In July 2017, the Trustees, Department of the Interior, through the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Commonwealth of Virginia, received a settlement of $42,069,916.78 to address natural resource damages and to implement restoration projects related to the impacted resources in the SFSR watershed. Proposed restoration includes: projects to improve water quality and fish habitat, such as agricultural and urban best management practices; freshwater mussel propagation and restoration; neotropical migratory songbird full life cycle restoration; land protection, property acquisition, and recreational and wildlife enhancements; recreational fishing improvement projects; and renovation of a Virginia fish hatchery. Project selection and implementation will begin in Fiscal Year 2018.
For more information see: