The 250 acre Fisher-Calo Chemical (FCC) site, located near Кingsbury (LaPorte County), Indiana is а former industrial chemical processing and distribution facility. Fisher-Calo Chemical and Solvents Corporation operated а solvents reclamation and waste storage facility on the property from late 1972 through mid-1978. FCC was primarily engaged in the reclamation of spent solvents. As part of their operations, FCC produced а still-bottom waste which they accumulated in 55 gallon drums. Sodium hypochlorite was produced and sulfur dioxide, chloride, ammonia, and various solvents were packaged at the site. Cyanide, acids, and metal plating wastes were also accepted from other industries, stored in metal drums, and stockpiled on the site or dumped on the ground.
In 1974, а fire occurred in an area containing FCC waste pa.int pigment and other waste drums which resulted in the destruction of about 1000 drums of chemical waste. In 1978, а more significant fire broke out at the site's solvent reclamation facility destroying several bulk storage tanks, trucks, and approximately 20,000 drums of chemical wastes and solvents. The 1978 fire required the evacuation of over 10,000 area residents.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) listed the site on the National Priorities List (NPL) in 1983 due to on-site contamination of groundwater and soils from volatile organic compounds (VOCs), polychlorinated biphenyl (PCBs), and semi-volatiles.